Wages Protection System
What is the WPS?
The Wages Protection System (WPS) is a comprehensive electronic system initiated by Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MOLSA) and Qatar Central Bank (QCB) to monitor and document the process of worker wage payment at the establishments subject to the Qatar Labour Law No. (14) of 2004.
The WPS is intended to ensure that employers are committed to the wage payment process, strengthen company compliance with the Labour Law, and reduce the number of payroll related legal disputes as employees will receive their salaries on time.
The WPS will see MOSLA monitor and control all salary payments with the support of the QCB, and these payments will be compared to official records such as visa quota and visa numbers, employment contract and salary details to ensure the correct salaries are paid to holders of valid visas.
The WPS service is mandatory for all companies except for embassies, QFC entities, Government and Public sector companies. Companies must be compliant by 2nd November 2015.
What is the procedure to register an employer?
- Complete and sign the al khaliji WPS registration form and submit the completed form to any of our branches
- Submit the salary payment files in approved electronic File Format. It is a Comma Separated Value file (.csv)
- SIF specifications. The most critical part of the WPS process is the actual transfer file, which must be formatted with a specific, mandatory header as well as the relevant employee data and salary information.
- Validation tools. Unzip the file and install
Objectives of the WPS?
- Protecting labour groups from manipulation of their financial entitlements.
- Enhance the security and the stability in the State of Qatar by establishing a safe working environment.
- Promote the principle of human rights in the State of Qatar.
- Save workers and employers from keeping cash in their workplace which may be susceptible to loss or theft.
- Enable the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs to continuously access workers’ data and compare that information to the data in their possession to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Labour Law.
- Reduce legal disputes between parties.
- Assist the judiciary in issuing rules and settling of disputes related to workers’ entitlements.
Is al khalijij compliant with the WPS regulations?
al khaliji is fully compliant with the WPS regulations for companies and employees. To register please contact us on 44940000 or visit any of al khaliji’s branches.
Is there a fixed date for the payment of employees' wages?
Employees’ wages should be paid before the 7th of each month
Is the system capable of transferring salaries more than once a month?
Yes, it is a condition that a company submits separate salary files each time
How will the company receive confirmation / rejection of a credit to employee accounts?
The company will receive notification by SMS and email
Can the company register in more than one bank for WPS?
Yes, provided that you process your employee salaries in more than one bank.
What can go wrong?
There are a number of potential causes for WPS transactions being rejected by either the bank, Qatar Central Bank or the MOSLA, but the most common reasons are:
- The files do not comply with the accepted formatting standards;
- There is a discrepancy between the number of transactions and the actual number of employees on the company’s approved visa list;
- The visa numbers do not match MOSLA records;
- There are additional special characters (e.g. a comma or other characters) other than those permitted;
- Net salary is not equal to Basic Salary _ Extra Income – Deductions; or
- Invalid employee and payer’s bank account details.
For more information please click here to visit the website of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs or call us on 44940000.